Sunday, August 10, 2008

Tacoma Narrows Bridge

If you don't know already, I am terrified of driving over bridges. This is a relatively new fear. I used to drive over the Huey P. Long bridge in the New Orleans area, a rickety awful bridge with a railroad on top, and I had no problem. It was not until I drove over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (from Annapolis to the Eastern shore of MD) that this fear came about. It was windy and I looked down and the waves were way, way down there crashing around. Instant dizziness. I said I would never drive over it again, yet I somehow managed to make myself do it a couple of more times. It got to the point where I started to hyperventilate. Needless to say, all other bridges, at least the ones that have a steady climb to the heavens, are now on my fear list.

So, anyway, to get anywhere by non-ferry when we move, I will have to take the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. This area is notorious for having very high winds and the original bridge collapsed in 1940. Holy shit.



I was going to blog about this this morning and before I started I watched the news. Top story was a tractor-trailer going over the side of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge! Not on the very top, but still.

I think I will be OK with the TNB, even though I've never seen it. From pictures, it looks like it is flat and not climbing to the heavens, so I have hope. I can't be stuck in small town WA!

Oh, and has anybody driven to Milwaukee lately? I hear it is terrifying to go over those new overpasses. Why would Milwaukee make people go over a scary bridge or terrifying overpasses to get into their town. I believe I will have to plan some backway to get through.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I have no fear of heights, just a healthy respect, and holy smokes there's no f'ing way you'd get me on that bridge.

gina said...

Ok I am glad I am not the only one who is terrified of driving over bridges! 3 words: Golden Gate Bridge. Add 1 more word: earthquakes. These 4 words together = Gina shits pants the entire time she is driving over this bridge.