Monday, September 8, 2008

Thanks, Navy!

I try not to badmouth my husband's employer (publicly). I mean, most of the things to bitch about are not because it's the military, but because it's the federal government. I know this. So instead, I'd like the thank the Navy:

- Thanks, Navy! for moving us to Georgia for the summer. I especially love the giant bugs, fire ants, and bloating humidity. It's nice to be on a land-locked island in the middle of Georgia, with no ocean breezes like at all the other Navy installations. Pesky ocean breezes.

- Thanks, Navy! for moving us to Connecticut for the winter. I can't wait to bundle up two babies, warm up the car, scrape off the windshield, and head out for groceries before that Nor'easter rolls in. Guessing how much the oil bill will be for the month should be a fun game to occupy us with while stuck inside the house.

- Thanks, Navy! for moving us to the Seattle area during the rainy season. Between CT and WA, I probably won't see the sun for 6 months. But that's OK. My sunshiny personality should provide all the light I need.

- Thanks, Navy! for having a 15-24 month waiting list for a house on Navy Base Kitsap. Seeing as how many people are only stationed there for two years, it makes perfect sense to make them wait on a list. Oh, the wait list starts when you leave your previous post, not when you get orders to your base and know people need a place to live? It's a good thing that thousands of families are willing to rent a shack until you call them. That leads me to my next thank you...

- Thanks, Navy! for not giving your military families enough money (especially the Chiefs and Officers) to rent a nice place in the Puget Sound area. Seattle is the one of the fastest growing cities, so it is interesting that you think that rent is staying low across the sound. Ya know, with that view of both the Olympics and Mt. Rainier and the water, who would want to cross the pond. I mean, why should military families deserve a nice house, anyway. It's a good thing we enjoy dipping into other monies to get a better place for our children. I'm glad that you are re-evaluating the housing cost for next year and hopefully fixing this- and that is not sarcasm!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

But they did give you a nice certificate of appreciation!

Unknown said...

Thanks Jennifer! I was in desperate need of some sarcastic jadedness. (And that's not sarcasm.)